Author: E. M. Wright
Narrator: Micah Cottingham
Length: 7 hours 57 minutes
Series: Children of Erikkson, Book 1
Publisher: The Parliament House
Released: Mar. 29, 2021
Genre: Science Fiction; Young Adult
She was created for more than slavery; she was built for rebellion.
In an alternate Victorian England, clockwork cyborgs provide the primary source of labor for the upper class. Known as biomatons, they are property by law and have been manipulated and mind-controlled into subservience.
Taryn Roft, a 17-year-old girl, attending classes at Grafton’s School of Mechanicks in London has a secret. What’s even worse – she cannot remember anything before her 12th birthday.
When a mysterious privateer discovers her secret, he offers her an ultimatum: accompany him to his airship, or her secret will be revealed to everyone. For Taryn, it’s not much of a choice. Facing prejudice and cruelty may be nothing new to the only girl at an all-boys’ school, but the further from home she gets, the darker her situation becomes.
Q&A with Protagonist “Taryn Roft”
- What is your full name? Do you have a nickname (if so, who calls you this)?
- My name is Taryn Roft. I do not have a middle name, or if I ever did, I have forgotten it. My best friend Royal calls me “Tiger,” on account of the way I growled at him the first time we met and my red hair.
- What is it like attending an all-boys’ school?
- The professors are biased. The boys see me as an object to taunt or conquer—a girl to take out to dinner to prove that they can, but never someone they would truly consider courting. Still, it is not all bad. I am learning more than I ever hoped. Royal can be overprotective, but he helps me stave off the worst of the bullies. And I will have so many opportunities when I graduate.
- What do you consider the most important event of your life so far?
- Royal pulling me off the streets when I was twelve. There were days when I was certain I would not see my thirteenth birthday. And then he found me and his father saw something in me, and the rest is history.
- What do you want to do when you graduate?
- I am hoping to get a job as a mechanick. I would love to work on an airship, but those jobs are really hard for girls to get so even just working in a clockmakers’ shop or on an estate would be nice. Lord Stokker has promised to help me find something, and I think perhaps Royal is hoping his father himself will employ me so I will not be far away.
- If you could go back in time and tell yourself one thing, what would you say?
- It gets better. Do not give up, because it gets better. And there will always be things you will have to hide. There will always be parts of yourself that must be a secret. But you will have people who care about you, so it gets better.
- What do you hope the future looks like?
- Freedom for the biomatons. I do not know how that will work, as their labour runs the country right now, but we abolished slavery before. We can do it again.
- If you could do one thing without consequences, what would it be?
- I would tell Royal my secret. I have wanted to tell him so many times. It is so difficult to keep a secret from my best friend. But I cannot risk it, not knowing what I do about the way my kind are treated. So if I could tell him without consequences, I would.
E.M. Wright is an author from Portland, OR. When she’s not writing, she can be found daydreaming, taking long walks with her husband, or working on a musical-in-progress with a friend. She writes books in the hopes of inflicting her imaginary friends on other people so she can eventually sleep in peace. Sedition is her first novel.
Micah Cottingham was born in North Carolina alongside the dogwoods and tobacco. Most of her adult life has been spent outside of the state, traveling and living in most of the 50 states as well as living abroad. Micah is a Musician and Voice Actor and will use any excuse to spend the day outside. In her free time she enjoys slacklining, hiking, and anything that leaves room for creativity. Currently, she is recording a new album and working full time as a Voice Actor.
VIEW THE FULL Tour SCHEDULE HERE!
Plugging you into the audio community since 2016.
3 Replies to “Spotlight & Excerpt: Sedition + Character Interview”
This sounds like an interesting audio book.