Title: The Fire Prophecy
Authors: Megan Linski & Alicia Rades
Narrators: Jennifer Jill Araya & Graham Halstead
Length: 15 hours and 4 minutes
Series: Academy of Magical Creatures, Book 1
Publisher: Crystallite Publishing
Released: Aug. 26, 2021
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Fire and water don’t mix.
Sophia: I’m Sophia Henley, your typical college freshman. I never expected a lion to be stalking me, nor for fire to come shooting out of my hands to protect my sister. Next thing I know, a drop-dead gorgeous guy shows up on my doorstep to sweep me away to a magical school, where I’ll learn to control my element and bond with a powerful creature called a Familiar.
I don’t believe I’m the savior of an ancient tribe, or the missing piece of a prophecy that’s more myth than reality. Worst of all, I’m forced to enter the Elemental Cup, where I’ll either earn my place in this society…or die trying.
Liam: The night I met Sophia, I didn’t think we’d form an undeniable connection. But I’m from the Water tribe, and she’s fire. I’m forced to push her away even as I’m falling for her.
I lost everything, yet Sophia makes me whole again. Our world is fixed on keeping us apart, but we’re in this tournament together. We have to keep each other alive at any cost – or I’ll give my life for hers.
It’s pretty clear. If I continue to play with fire, I’m going to get burned.
Q&A with Authors Megan Linski & Alicia Rades
- Do you believe certain types of writing translate better into audiobook format?
- Absolutely! There’s a feeling and depth that comes through with audiobooks that you can’t get with black and white words on a page. It definitely makes the bridge from the book turning from fantasy into reality that’s much easier to cross.
- Was a possible audiobook recording something you were conscious of while writing?
- We had no intentions on creating an audiobook for this novel until we saw how popular it was with fans and how many readers loved the story. Once we realized that these characters meant a lot to people, we knew audio was the next natural step.
- Were there any real life inspirations behind your writing?
- Megan is disabled, and she writes Liam, who also has a disability. It was easy for her to write a character that shares the same kind of difficulties in day-to-day life.
- How do you manage to avoid burn-out? What do you do to maintain your enthusiasm for writing?
- We try not to work on projects we aren’t fully invested in. Being passionate about the project and its message is how we find the motivation to keep going even when the words aren’t coming.
- Are you an audiobook listener? What about the audiobook format appeals to you?
- Megan listens to audiobooks. With two kids, Alicia struggles to find the time! Megan enjoys the connection that can be forged between a reader and the story while listening to an actor portray a scene from a novel. It’s just an experience unlike any other!
- Is there a particular part of this story that you feel is more resonating in the audiobook performance than in the book format?
- Graham’s performance as Liam during the Elemental Cup is so emotionally resonating. Megan found herself tearing up.
- What do you say to those who view listening to audiobooks as “cheating” or as inferior to “real reading?”
- Audiobooks make reading accessible to so many people who are unable to read by traditional means. We love audiobooks, and they are one-hundred percent a valid form of reading!
- How did you celebrate after finishing this novel?
- We got together at PennedCon 2018 a few months before this book came out and partied the night away!
- Do you like long or short audiobooks?
- The length doesn’t matter, as long as the story is good. Sometimes longer is better if it’s a really great actor! All the audiobooks we’ve co-written are super long, though. Some are even over twenty hours long!
- What’s next for you?
- We’ll be releasing the third book in the Prison for Supernatural Offenders Series and our ninth co-written title, The Infernal Underground, sometime early next year. Those books are narrated by Vanessa Moyen and AJ Carter, and the first two audiobooks, The Villain Institute and The Criminal Lair, are avaliable now.
Hidden Legends is a fantasy-paranormal academy universe created and co-owned by best friends and USA Today bestselling authors Megan Linski and Alicia Rades.
Megan Linski is a coffee connoisseur who enjoys ice skating, horseback riding, and shopping. Her stories feature themes of community and friendship while advocating for the rights of the disabled.
Alicia Rades is a mother who loves baking cookies, reading tarot, and binge-watching Netflix. She has a passion for personal development and strives to incorporate emotional-empowerment themes into her books.
Both girls love nature, animals, sexy romances, and eating cheese.
Jennifer Jill Araya has been listening to audiobooks since she was a young child, and the fact that she now gets to narrate audiobooks for a living is a dream come true. Jennifer’s training as an opera singer and orchestral cellist lend a musicality and depth of understanding to her narration that help bring her authors’ stories to life. She loves nothing more than giving life and breath to the printed word. When she’s not narrating, Jennifer can be found hiking, biking, running, or generally exploring her home city of Cincinnati with her husband Arturo (aka “Partner in Crime”) and their two children.
Two-time Audie Award winner and recipient of five AudioFile Earphones Awards, Graham Halstead has narrated 180+ titles for Audible, Recorded Books, Penguin Random House, Macmillan, Hachette, Harper Collins and many more.
Click here to view the full tour schedule!
Plugging you into the audio community since 2016.